[ardour-dev] Using Ardour as a front end for loading DSP effects.

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.co.uk
Sat Dec 2 02:50:13 PST 2006

Hi,

I was wondering how hard it would be to use the Ardour front end to load
effects directly into the DSP of some sound cards. E.g. Creative Audigy2
and E-MU cards. Is the Ardour GUI well abstracted from signal processing
part, or are they very much linked? It would be nice if one could
display channels inside the DSP and add effects to them all in Ardour.
So, with Ardour, one could then mix DSP effects with central CPU
software effects.

For example, I have recently implemented ALSA support for some E-MU
cards, and it would be nice to use Ardour as a Linux version of PatchMix.

The complicated bit is changing the rate.
For 1x rate, normal 1 channel DSP code is used.
For 2x rate, 2 next door channels are used, each running at 1x rate, so
different DSP code is needed.
The same again for 4x rate, i.e. 4 channels are used.

So, what do people think? Would this sort of feature be a step forward
or a step backwards for Ardour?

James