Fwd: [ardour-dev] Ardour doesn't run remotely? (Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 13:59:23 PDT 2005

On 9/29/05, Ross Vandegrift <ross at jose.lug.udel.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:06:25PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > Yes. I've seen this before with X forwarding, and I
> > > worked around the problem by using 'ssh -Y' instead of
> > > 'ssh -X' when connecting to my machine. I never fully
> > > understood why that was necessary.
>
> FWIW, recent versions of OpenSSH introduced this new option.  It makes
> a distinction between "trusted" and "non-trusted" X11 connections.
> -X provides basic protocol forwarding to cover things like Xlib
> functionality.  -Y will also carry requests for extensions, and other
> things that I guess the OpenSSH developers think we might want to
> restrict.
>
> Seems like a pain in the butt.   Now I do all my remote sshing with -Y
> ::-)

Actually I knew about this. It's been there for quite awhile. I wrote
a little web page teaching Redhat folks how to use this a couple of
years ago. It's probably still on line somewhere. It had been so long
that I had forgotten it. The failure mode seemed unlike any I'd seen
before where you didn't get to the 'trusted' issues unil you were more
deeply into the program. I've not seen that before.

- Mark