[ardour-dev] Ardour doesn't run remotely? (Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow)

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 11:56:35 PDT 2005

Hi,
   As a few know I've got a new AMD64 machine that has been giving me
xrun fits. An individual on the Gentoo-users list made the sort of
obvious comment that I should try using the machine in a more headless
mode and run the apps remotely. I did this and now have no xruns even
at 64/2. However I'm finding that a number of my favorite Linux audio
apps do not behave so well when I do this, one of them being Ardour.
Is this caused by my sort of strange setup being both 32-bit and
64-bit machines, different kernels, etc, or is this an Ardour issue?

   NOTE: Ardour is not the only app having trouble, but there are many
apps that work also so it's not a problem that kills all apps.

   Here's what I see:

mark at gigastudio ~ $ ssh -X lightning
Password:
Last login: Thu Sep 29 11:14:52 2005 from gigastudio

mark at lightning ~ $ ardour
Ardour/GTK 0.9beta30
   (built using 0.603.2 with libardour 0.900.3 and GCC version 3.4.4
(Gentoo 3.4.4-r1, ssp-3.4.4-1.0, pie-8.7.8))
Copyright (C) 1999-2005 Paul Davis
Some portions Copyright (C) Steve Harris, Ari Johnson, Brett Viren, Joel Baker

Ardour comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
under certain conditions; see the source for copying conditions.
ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use
ardour: [WARNING]: Your system generates "Mod2" when the NumLock key
is pressed. This can cause problems when editing so Ardour will use
Mod3 to mean Meta rather than Mod2

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

Gdk-WARNING **: Missing charsets in FontSet creation

Gdk-WARNING **:     ISO8859-1

Down through the Gdk-WARNING messages it's all normal. When the GUI is
up I try clicking on the Session menu and it immediately crashes with
the Gdk-ERROR messages.

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
mark at lightning ~ $

   The error messages are repeatable except the 'serial' number changes.

   Maybe this is an ssh config problem?

   I wonder if someone could try this between a couple of their
machines and see if it works for them?

   If you're not set up to forward X then don't forget to change
/etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow X forwarding and to restart sshd.

   Thanks in advance for trying this out. It would be a huge help if I
could run my new machine, even in this slightly strange manner. Heck,
the Ardour machine could be in another room and I could run a thin
client for my desktop...

Cheers,
Mark