[ardour-dev] Re: 0.9beta30 + freeverb?

Mon Sep 19 08:37:19 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 08:28 +0200, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> >I get a bigger blip reverberated and so on and so forth. The blip gets
> >to be a big crash, bigger and bigger and bigger as I stop/start the
> >transport.
>
> >Could this be build related? Somebody must have noticed this before me.
> >This was not happening with 0.9beta29, of course.
>
> I get that occationally too, not only with freeverb but with all sorts
> of reverbs.
>
> This was mentioned regarding the TAP reverb in August ("Deafening noise
> from plugins when auditioning/unmuting",
> http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/ardour-dev-ardour.org/2005-August/002551.html)
> and something similar in July ("TAP EQ/Chorus Plugins distorting/spoiling sound",
> http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/ardour-dev-ardour.org/2005-July/002458.html)
>
> I have no solution though, other than to mute the effect while
> starting/stopping or restart the session.
>
> I really think some smart guy needs to look into this further.

Real soon. Sounds to me like a major problem.

> Oh, and BTW: you seem yo have compiled your ardour wrong.
> You start it with --use-hw-optimization but it prints
> "ardour: [INFO]: No H/W specific optimizations in use".
> Either you forgot to add one or both of USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE and
> BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS to your scons line, or your HW doesn't support
> SSE.

Yes, I did not comment on that as it did not seem important (compared to
explosions when stoping and starting playback!)

I compiled with the suggested flags for packagers:
      USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE=0
      BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS=1
The machine is a laptop with a Pentium 4 so it should have SSE...
-- Fernando