[ardour-dev] Master Fader became mono

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 06:18:45 PDT 2005

On 9/4/05, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:
> Quoting Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:
>
> > Hi,
> >    I just got finished building Ardour from a recent tarball on my new
> > AMD64. Ardour came up fine and runs, but the session I loaded ended up
> > with the Master Fader as a mono element instead of stereo.
>
> Did you check the input & output port counts on the master bus? It's
> possible that for some reason, ardour couldn't register the required number
> of jack ports. Did you have anything else using jackd? Could it be that the
> maximum port count was reached, but you missed the warning?
>
>  Sampo

Hi Sampo,
   I saw none of that. The master fader was stereo input and mono
output with the output hooked to the left output -
alsa_pcm:playback_1. I added a second output tot he fader and hooked
it to alsa_pcm:playback_2 and the session became stereo again. Before
I did this I started the session a couple of times (without saving it)
and got the same results. After I did it the Master Fader remained
stereo.

   Jack always runs with a pretty high port count here - 512 ports.
This session wasn't too many tracks so I wouldn't have thought that
was a problem.

   I must say that fixing this problem in this session was no big
deal, but it really makes Ardour look flaky when this stuff happens.
Further it makes me not trust the session integrity as I need to go
check every track and bus to see that they are doing the right stuff.

QUESTION: Long, long ago Paul said that we could not be assured that
the session file format was going to be supported going forward,
meaning that if I did a session I could not be sure that it would work
in future versions of Ardour. With Ardour approaching 1.0 is this
warning now passed? Can we be assured that the current format will be
supported into the future and that should you need to change the
format that you'll support converting old sessions?

Thanks,
Mark