[ardour-dev] Proposed editing mode

Geoff Beasley songshop at bizmedia.com.au
Wed Oct 19 06:11:52 PDT 2005

I just use a template for my connections. That way I "speed things up" later
on in the session @ mix time.

I love the extreme flexability Ardour offers with almost all of it's features.
Yes the editing could be a little faster in some respects, but you know I
went  to a collegues studio with Samplitude today  (btw i was on the beta
team for Sampitude 4 and had used it since 1996 v 2.5 till 2004 v 7.22) and
quite seriously I hated the whole thing. Since moving to Linux totally last
November, i have not looked back. I am amazed at how limiting,
inflexable,unstable and un-productive ( let alone the appaling time-slap !)
Windoze based music-making really is.

I have made a real effort to re-learn and re-align my skills to
Ardour/Muse/Linux and I can honestly say I much prefer the system as is. I
miss not having the playhead move with the mouse; but the keystoke (p) is
actually perfectly adequate .  I miss not being able to move the timeline at
the bottom of the screen, but I'm quite used to it. And I have some editing
options I NEVER had in Samplitude at all ! And many things are configurable
in ardour.rc etc anyway.

I hear what you're saying and I agree with most of it, but for me if Ardour
stays the way it is I'm very happy, and very productive.

that'll be 2c,

best,
Geoff.