[ardour-dev] GPU audio processing?

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 17 04:54:06 PDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, TommyDrum wrote:

> I wanted to post this link as this seems an interesting article in
> regards of using the GPU for realtime audio processing:
>
> http://www.apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/5F125BA4653309A3CA25705A0005AD27
>
> Interesting, isn't it?

We did some programming in BrookGPU, we tested it with multiplying
matrices.

 Testresults: Results based on the current package:
cpu: 	3.4 seconds
ati 9800XT dx9 mode: 	9.5 seconds
NVIDIA 6800GT dx9 mode: 	16.0 seconds
NVIDIA 6800GT nv30gl mode: 	13.8 seconds

We think the problem is basically in memory allocation wich is very time
consuming. Next to that rewriting was a 'new' concept. Maybe if you
optimize for a specific shader some advantages could be gathered.

Then again I think more standard instructionsets as MMX/SSE/3DNow etc.
should be used first imho.

Stefan