[ardour-dev] SSE + gcc-3.3.1 -> Segfaults

Wolfgang Woehl tito at rumford.de
Tue Oct 4 03:41:42 PDT 2005

Paul, Sampo,

This is about the Segfaults on routes setup. Calling
ardev [-o] ~/music/somesession...
lets the editor and the mixer appear and segfaults before the meters
show up. With and without the -o flag. Happens only with a DEBUG=0
version. A DEBUG=1 version is fully operational (including a big
difference in DSP load with/without -o)

Ardour/GTK 0.99
   (built using 1.0.0 with libardour 0.901.2 and GCC version 3.3.1 (SuSE
Linux))
It boils down to
DEBUG=0 USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE=1 BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 -> Segfault
DEBUG=0 USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE=1 BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS=0 -> Segfault
DEBUG=0 USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE=0 BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 -> Ok

On IRC Sampo mentioned it might be a compiler issue. So I tried on
another build system that has gcc-3.5.5:
Both SSE build options = 1, calling with and without -o -> No Segfaults

I'm not sure whether it's even worth pursuing because gcc-3.3.1 is old
(http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.3.1/ says August 2003). It's
just that I didn't have problems with it until the SSE stuff came
along. You want more numbers?

Wolfgang