[ardour-dev] terminology (range, interval, zone, region, segment)

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 4 02:20:52 PDT 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 20:12, fons adriaensen wrote:
> Again agreed, and I'd add that (for me) a region is something that is
> connected, i.e it only has one part. Same for 'range'.
>
> Region, range, slice, section, part, segment, zone, ... any others
> to consider ?
>
> --

Lets not forget that a large part of this terminology is inherited from older
DAW programs (protools etc). So it is now part of standard audio-engineering
speech. This goes for region and range for range-mode range. Any new and
different words can only be used for features that are unique to
ardour.Chunks f.i.

But the range markers are confusing since they have no relation to range-mode.
The range markers are used for CD toc generation and not for much else. You
can snap to the start of a marked range, but not to the end and you can't use
them to make selections. There is really no interaction possible between the
the canvas and the CD markers.
So the range markers should really called CD markers or something like this.
(track-markers will confuse things even more probably)
Maybe section markers or location markers.

another 0.02 euro

Gerard