[ardour-dev] terminology (range, interval, zone, region, segment)

Christophe Combelles ccomb at free.fr
Mon Oct 3 07:48:54 PDT 2005

As I'm finishing the fr translation, I have a terminology question:

It seems there are two different kinds of "ranges" in ardour.

1) the ranges that appear on the range markers line:
Many of them can exist, but each one is contiguous.

2) the range that is created with the "range" button: only one can
exist, but it can be fragmented (multi-selection with shift button).

I tend to translate both separately (eg: first as "interval", second
as "zone" (same words in french)).

Shouldn't it be the same in english?  Isn't it confusing to use the
same word for 2 different notions?

For example, when "exporting a range", nothing happens if a "range" (a
zone) is not selected, even if you have several ranges (intervals)
defined in the range markers line.

---

another question: in french, translating "region" to "segment" seems
more accurate, regarding ardour's way of working : a segment is always
contiguous and is visually more explicit (one dimension) than a
region. So i'm asking to native english speakers: isn't the word
"segment" more explicit than "region" even in english?

Christophe