[ardour-dev] Compiling Ardour with xfst 0.5

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Nov 19 06:44:04 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:27 +0100, Roger Depreeuw wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently in the same position.
> After I upgraded my system to FC4, found out that VST support was no
> longer operational in ardour, because the wine-20040505 doesn't compile
> any longer, and jack_fst compiles with a later wine version but seg
> faults when running it. xfst compiles and runs fine with most of my VST
> plugins. (Correct me if I'm wrong) But as it is a win32 exe, it cannot
> be simply linked into ardour.
> What will be the strategy of the "ardour dev group" on this subject?
> Why do you intent to abandon jack_fst (which worked fine until now)?

jack_fst has been "replaced" by the xfst that you already have. it is
likely that the next release of ardour (in the "0.99" branch) will
include build support for using ardour with fst+wine. it is not as
simple to implement or build as it was with the first version of FST,
but it now uses a Wine-approved method and is no longer tied to a
particular version of wine. once you are running this version of ardour,
it will be as easy to use as the previous design.

> Is there a workaround in the meantime? You mentioned something to launch
> it externally. I guess you then connect it through an "insert" in the
> ardour mixer pannel?

correct. use xfst as regular JACK client, connected inside ardour as an
insert.