[ardour-dev] latest cvs segfaults on opening some projects

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Sun May 15 05:16:54 PDT 2005

Paul Davis wrote:

>>with the latest cvs (which i managed to get compiled with the
>>jack_recompute_latencies etc) i am unable to open one of my projects. it
>>seems to be only one (out of about six) ... and everytime i go to open
>>it, it segfaults. i switched back to the CCRMA beta29 binary, and it
>>opens the problem project ok (while mentioning "too many panner
>>automation states" or something).
>>
>>what should i do from here to find out what is causing this?
>>

>the same thing you should for any and all segfaults:
>
>    a) rebuild using scons DEBUG=yes
>    b) run it under gdb, following instructions in the FAQ
>    c) email the results to ardour-dev

not much to report, i'm afraid ...

i followed these instructions but get taken back to the gnome login
screen (running xfce4.2) when i try to open the problem project -
henceforth, i don't really get to see any output.

so i tried piping (?) the output to a text file from the command line,
but this is all that is there when i log back in:

GNU gdb Red Hat Linux (6.1post-1.20040607.43rh)
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux-gnu"...Using host
libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".

(gdb) ruru(gdb)
(gdb)
(gdb) q

i've never really de-bugged anything using gdb, so maybe it's
ineptitude? thought i'd give it a go, anyway.

shayne