[ardour-dev] xinerama/ matrox dual head issues

Matt Walker ard.walker at divasive.com
Tue May 10 14:45:45 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 18:23, vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 21:04, Matt Walker wrote:
> > Has anyone else used this combination (X 4.3.0 / latest matrox beta
> > driver for G450) and had strange results?
>
> Are you using  dual-head xinerama, or the combined framebuffer -whatever it
> is called in matrox speak.

If the Matrox configurator GUI wasn't a complete piece of crap, I might have
an answer to that question... but probably not. I could only get it to work
with the Xinerama box checked. I couldn't find any concise explanation of the
choices you lay out (other than what I gleaned from looking at the changes to
XF86Config).

If I had known better, I would probably have just bought one more
(well-supported) single head card and done it that way. ARRRGHHH!!!

I had problems with that when I ran a G550, so I
> switched to regular xinerama, (and later even to non-xinerama dual head to
> get openGL on one of the screens but that is irrelevant here)
>
> If you are not interested in openGL you could also try running the regular
> X matrox mga drivers, to see if it helps.

The Fedora Core 1 mga driver was useless. (FC 3 wouldn't even install on my
machine, so I went back to FC1) Even with it's problems, the latest one from
the Matrox web site was the only one I could get to work at all.