[ardour-dev] Presonus Firebox (firewire) -> Jackd (freebob) -> Ardour

.flx. flx.foo at gmail.com
Mon May 2 10:22:18 PDT 2005

Dear all,

  First of all, sorry for my english, i'm a froggy!

A. Ardour on Arch distro, doesn't  work
  I try to test Ardour with a Firewire device from Presonus (called
firebox), i'm testing that with a modified version of jackd which
comes from the Freebob project (i think you know that).
  I *CAN* run, hydrogen+ardour+firebox+jackd well on a slackware 10.1
(kernel 2.6.11.6) (on a dell inspiron)
  i just wanted to test this setup with another distro called "Arch"
which 686 optimized slackware based. And i'm unlucky, ardour *CAN*
start but *CAN'T* open a new session it crashes just after setting up
an new session... I've tried to recompile (even with cvs version) and
nothing more...
  I just notice that "Arch" use gcc 3.4.3 and i still with gcc 3.3.4 on slack.
  Do you have any clue to solve that or an idea?

  But, i repeat, all of ardour, jackd (freebob) work well on a
slackware (the greatest distro ;p)

B. About monitoring
  I have test with realtime jackd (lsm kernel )module on slack too. It
works well, Ardour reports a 2,7ms  testing session ok. I recorded 6
audios mono tracks during 15min without problems.
  But, (coz there's a but), i can't understand to have monitoring
(software of course, coz hardware monitoring isn't implement on
freebob i guess). I have about 0.5s of delay on output, and nothing
through 'auditionners' jack output. Can you explain me more about
monitoring?

thanks all for your *GREAT* work, i'm happy to see multichannel
recording come on linux :p

best,
flx