[ardour-dev] Fwd: [ardour-users] MMC commands and remote control

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Tue Mar 1 10:30:50 PST 2005

Forwarding to ardour-dev....

----- Forwarded Message -----

Subject: [ardour-users] MMC commands and remote control
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:52:06 +0100
From: Gerhard Zintel <Gerhard.Zintel at web.de>
To: ardour-users-ardour.org at lists.ardour.org

Hello List,

I'm new here and no native speaker - so, be patient ;-]

I'm on my way to assemble a small remote control for Ardour using an ATMEL
mega8 micro controller and a few electronic components (price about 10 Euro).
In a first step I'd like to start and stop Ardour, jump to the begin or end
of the session and switch record mode on/off.

I'm using MMC commands over MIDI cable and I realized that some of them are
working like expected, others not. So far the comands STOP, PLAY,
FAST_FORWARD and REWIND are working well.

Jumping to the begin or end of the session is more complex.The begin of the
session normally is the location 0:0:0:0:0 so I can use the LOCATE comand. I
normally don't know the location of the end of the session so I have no idea
how to solve this.

The main problem is to toggle the Rec-Enable button (is this the name for the
button with the red circle?). I have played with the RECORD_STROBE (punch in)
and RECORD_EXIT (punch out) commands. The last one works also well (switching
record mode off during recording) but sending a RECORD_STROBE command starts
Ardour to go into play mode. Sending the command again a second time a little
later starts recording. But if I send the command directly two times out of
the controller one after each other don't do the same thing. Obviously there
must been a (short?) time delay between the two RECORD_STROBE commands.

That is especially unusable because Ardour runs always a short time in play
mode before it starts recording. So I'm eg. not able to start recording from
the very beginning. Maybe its a bug and I should file it or I'm
missunderstanding the meaning of RECORD_STROBE command.

Is there any other MMC command to switch to rec-enable mode before I start
playing/recording?

Another wish is to toggle the "per track rec-enable" buttons remotely. I'd
like to start the recording remote, jumping back to the beginning of the file
and play it again, but as long as the per track rec-enable buttons are
pressed, those tracks are not audible :-( The MIDI bindable things in Ardour
seems to be the sliders only - at least in my version.

every help would be greatly appreciated

Gerhard

PS.: if anyone is interested in the hard-/software of the remote controll -
I'd like to share that knowledge. A WIKI would be the best for sharing those
kind of information - or what would you think?

PPS.: I'm using Ardour 0.9beta24. I was not able to compile the beta26 version
under DEBIAN Sarge.