[ardour-dev] plugin presets

fons adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Sun Jun 5 09:43:59 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 07:01:25PM +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:

> What if the plugin gets a new parameter?

If desired adding parameters can be supported by using something
like name=value. But it's probably safer to say it's a new plugin
in that case.

> What if the plugin name is changed?

Then it's a new plugin. You need _something_ to identify a plugin.
I don't know what this file uses to identify the plugin(s) it
contains presets for, but I'm sure it's something that doesn't
make sense to a user.

> What if the preset-name has a space in it?

"Use quotes".

> Or turn this the other way around: why would ardour use a
> "proprietary" / ardour specific format instead of something that is
> standardized. Also, software for reading this file is readily available:
> liblrdf.

Because the standardized thing is bloated, unreadable, uneditable, and
does not add anything useful. I'd gladly accept something standardized,
if only it would makes sense.

Would another application using plugins be able to use the .n3 file
without any a-priori knowledge ? If not then it's still ardour-specific.

But this is not the place to start an pro/contra XML war.
Just tell me please, how do I remove preset A for plugin B ? (using Emacs)

--
FA