[ardour-dev] Fwd: Re: [ardour-users] Invalid filename

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sat Jan 8 04:12:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 19:36 -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> There was some filesystem that used to be included with linux that rode
> on top of FAT, but didn't affect it.  That could probably handle a '?'.
>   I forget its name though.  OMSFAT or something like that.

History lesson (OT):

It was called umsdos and it was horrible. It used a fat partition where
it created a LINUX -named directory. It stored files with 8.3 filenames
in that directory and kept a file (hidden from linux) which contained
mappings from the 8.3 to linux names.

It was slow, unreliable and the easiest way to start using Linux. I used
it with a 0.99.4 kernel.. :)

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>