[ardour-dev] Fwd: Re: [ardour-users] Invalid filename

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:11:35 PST 2005

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:28:11 -0500, Paul Davis
<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> >pretty much committed to VFAT as it maintains compatilbility between
> >Pro Tools and Ardour. I can have a single directory structure with
> >both Ardour and Pro Tools sessions in the top directory and a single
> >set of audio files. Do I have another FS choice?
>
> Not really. I see your point. ProTools is OK with VFAT? Wonders never
> cease. I cannot guess how much work they had to do get good
> performance from it ...

I think it's more like it's the only thing they had so they got the
performance they got. They couldn't run Windows with ext3 or XFS and
see it work better.

A bit beyond that though, is the real performance limitation the file
system or the system? We had some conversations earlier about pretty
much any disk having enough bandwidth to support 50-100 tracks. As I
cannot get close to 100 tracks today using either VFAT or ext3 I
figure there are other performance bottlenecks in my way before the
disk drives take the system down.

Last thought - if I need more tracks and want to use VFAT then I'll
use dual 1394 drives and beat the problem that way. Compatibility to
me is a pretty cool feature if you can find ways to keep the disk file
names straight.

Cheers,
Mark