[ardour-dev] FD Tranzport

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 20 09:58:34 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 05:55 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway, a sub-$200 outboard transport would be a really nice
> alternative to using a mouse, most especially when I want to record
> things like acoustic guitar. I may get one for Pro Tools and then be
> pesky about getting you to look at it under Linux. ;-)

My sub-$200 outboard transport consists of a long extension lead for the
computer keyboard. :)
It works quite well, and I can operate the space bar with my foot to
start recording/playback while playing guitar.
With '+' and '-' on the keypad to shuttle about the place, and ctrl+z to
undo a take, it's about all I need.
The only annoying thing is the lack of visual feedback, as without
looking at the screen you cannot tell if you have just toggled the
transport's rec enable on or off.
I wonder if the 'scroll lock' light could be used to indicate the
transport status.... Off for just playback, flashing for armed, and
steady for recording?