[ardour-dev] [ardour-users] mono/stereo confusion

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 05:47:01 PST 2005

On 12/29/05, Geoff Beasley <songshop at bizmedia.com.au> wrote:
> i'm not really sure how tracks in ardour handle mono/stereo waves. the way i
> do it, as a rule, is record stereo tracks when i do sessions even for mono
> sources. this of course wastes disk space and makes large projects
> unnecessarily unweildy. it does however make the post production phase easier
> for plugs and the like.
>
> i know you can add inputs/outputs to a track and make it stereo later,  but it
> does add quite a 'nuisance value' to large projects. how do others handle
> this dilema ?

In general I do it in stereo also. Disk space is no big deal and I
prefer the look of the mixer strips being identical.

> also, how do you combine or import a stereo wave from inside the 'sounds' dir
> of a project into a single stereo track ? must you use two mono with L/R
> pan ? this has confused me for some time now......

Sorry Geoff. I don't understand this one exactly. I don't put stuff I
want to use in the Sounds dir. IIRC I add stereo files to to sound
library and then just drag them into a stereo track. At that point
Ardour copies them into the sounds dir, or links them, depending on
the choices you hae set up.

- Mark