[ardour-dev] gcc4 / x86_64 build fixes

Doug McLain dougmclain at cayf.org
Tue Aug 16 22:20:10 PDT 2005

In order to get a successful ardour build on gcc4 / x86_64, i had to
make the following modifications.  Be advised that I was able to build
ardour successfully on a 64 bit fc3 machine, and the following problems
were all 64 bit specific issues, which is why I stress gcc4 and 64bit.

I added the -fPIC flag to the sigc++, pbd, soundtouch, and midi++ libs.
  I did this by manually editing the later 3's SConscript file, adding
it to the CCFLAGS var.  Since sigc++ still uses autostools, I just
cheated and manually edited the Makefile and rebuilt that directory
manually.  I couldn't figure out how to do it right.

In gtk_ardour/utils.cc compilation failed on lines 466 and 478 because
of casting a void* to a gint and int, respectively (the error was due to
loss of precision).  I changed both casts to a gint64:

466:pane->set_position ((gint64) pane->get_data ("rpos"));
478:collapse_direction = (gint64) pane->get_data ("collapse-direction");

I'm not sure if these are the desired fixes, but Ardour now builds fine
and runs.  I'm having performance issues with JACK, but when JACK
behaves, Ardour appears to run fine.

Doug
--
http://nostar.net/