[ardour-dev] gcc4 / x86_64 build fixes

Doug McLain dougmclain at cayf.org
Tue Aug 16 22:20:10 PDT 2005

In order to get a successful ardour build on gcc4 / x86_64, i had to 
make the following modifications.  Be advised that I was able to build 
ardour successfully on a 64 bit fc3 machine, and the following problems 
were all 64 bit specific issues, which is why I stress gcc4 and 64bit.

I added the -fPIC flag to the sigc++, pbd, soundtouch, and midi++ libs. 
  I did this by manually editing the later 3's SConscript file, adding 
it to the CCFLAGS var.  Since sigc++ still uses autostools, I just 
cheated and manually edited the Makefile and rebuilt that directory 
manually.  I couldn't figure out how to do it right.

In gtk_ardour/utils.cc compilation failed on lines 466 and 478 because 
of casting a void* to a gint and int, respectively (the error was due to 
loss of precision).  I changed both casts to a gint64:

466:pane->set_position ((gint64) pane->get_data ("rpos"));
478:collapse_direction = (gint64) pane->get_data ("collapse-direction");

I'm not sure if these are the desired fixes, but Ardour now builds fine 
and runs.  I'm having performance issues with JACK, but when JACK 
behaves, Ardour appears to run fine.


More information about the Ardour-Dev mailing list