[ardour-dev] Multi-audio-disk setup - let's make it work

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 05:37:30 PDT 2005

Dave,
   Hi. I tried the daily tarball but got the same results.

Paul,
   I was wondering if I could try this out on the play side without
worrying about the record side. If I understood the expected directory
structure I could record a few tracks and then move them by hand to
the different audio drives. If Ardour could find the files then
playback would proceed as we expect.

1) Assume I have a session called Session1

2) Would this be how Ardour would expect the directories and files to be set up?

/home/mark/Audio/audio1/Ardour/Session1/
/home/mark/Audio/audio2/Ardour/Session1/
/home/mark/Audio/audio3/Ardour/Session1/

Under audio1/Ardour/Session1 I'd have the session file Session1.ardour
along with directories for automation, dead_sounds, peaks & sounds.
Under audio2/Ardour/Session1 & audio3/Ardour/Sessions1 I'd have peaks
& sounds. (dead_sounds and/or automation here too?)

Anyway, I'm not having any trouble recording 26 tracks to a single
drive, but I want to go far deeper on playback and I'm not against
moving files by hand as long as Ardour will be able to find them.

Cheers,
Mark