[ardour-dev] Multi-audio-disk setup - let's make it work

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:42:07 PDT 2005

Hello,
   This is probably for Paul but help is certainly welcomed from
anyone who can lend a hand. In a message a week or so ago I asked
about setting up multiple audio drives in parallel. As I understood it
I was to place three paths in the Session Path shown in the Options
Editor as such:

/home/mark/Audio/audio1/Ardour:
/home/mark/Audio/audio2/Ardour:/home/mark/Audio/audio3/Ardour

(No line break in reality - probably breaks in this message.)

audio1, 2 & 3 are separate 1394 drives that are mounted under my home
directory. The are all mounted and are read-write.

#80GB ADS 1394 drive
LABEL=audio1            /home/mark/Audio/audio1         ext3
rw,noauto,user 0 0

#160GB ADS 1394 drive
LABEL=audio2            /home/mark/Audio/audio2         ext3
rw,noauto,user 0 0

#Icebox 1394 drive
LABEL=audio3            /home/mark/Audio/audio3         ext3
rw,noauto,user 0 0

All drives have data on them already and the Ardour directory exists
on all of them. However when I try to create a session the only
session directory created is on audio1 and all audio data is being
written to audio1 only.

   What am I doing wrong?

   I've tried using the path:path:path when I create the session, and
I've also tried editing the session RAID path in the Options Editor
dialog after the session is created. Neither has worked for me so far.

   Probably I'm just misunderstanding where to put this. Help me work it out.

Ardour 0.9beta28 - ardour/gtk-0.581.3 & libardour-0.881.2

   I'm happy to upgrade if there is a reason to. I've just been
holding off a bit.

Thanks much,
Mark