[ardour-dev] Latency Pre-preempt.

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 2 10:10:10 PST 2005

After reading the discussions here recently about how Ardour cues tracks
in advance to deal with plugin latency, I tried an experiment with the
swh artificial latency plugin.

By increasing the plugin latency of a bus to twenty minutes or so, and
inverting the plugin delay compensation, Ardour cued the tracks so far
in advance that it began playing audio that had not yet been recorded.

This is very useful when you don't know how a take will go, as you can
hear it before playing it. Unfortunately, you will always play the take
you heard, as otherwise you could not have heard it in advance to have
played it before you heard it played back the first time it was played
in advance beforehand, or otherwise the first playback could not have
been played beforehand in advance.

The only problem I've found is that if I try and do an overdub when
playing along with a negative latency track I'm intending to record I
get:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkgc.c: line 288 (gdk_gc_unref): assertion `gc !=
NULL' will fail tomorrow.
Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkgc.c: line 289 (gdk_gc_unref): assertion `gc !=
NULL' will fail tomorrow.
[SEGFAULT] -CAUSALITY ERROR 4###00008

and Ardour crashes. Would increasing the buffer size help here?