[ardour-dev] Ardour tarball make install on Planet box

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:06:56 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 12:24:47 -0500, Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net> wrote:
> Hi Mark:
>
>   What version of automake are you using ?
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi Dave,
   Two machines - different results:

1) Gentoo - very up to date with [ebuild   R   ]
sys-devel/automake-1.8.5-r1  (-uclibc) 2,557 kB.

This machine built Ardour from the tarball correctly (i.e. - without
copying mkinstalldirs) when I did it like this:

flash mark $ WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.7 ./autogen.sh
flash mark $ ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vst --disable-ksi

2) FC2/PlanetCCRMA - very up to date also with automake-1.8.3-1

Reviewing my commands from yesterday in this case I just did

godzilla mark$ ./autogen.sh

and I had to copy mkinstalldirs.

Obviously (*now that I wrote things down*) I didn't give the Planet
box a fair chance by cluing it in on what version of automake to use.
My mistake. To investigate I've just deleted the build directories and
then started over from the tarball. No problem doing WANT_AUTOMAKE=1.7
./autogen.sh and no problems with the ./configure step. This has
finished cleanly without requiring that I copy mkinstalldirs so I've
started the make step which will take a while. If it fails for some
reason I'll let you know.

If Steve Harris or make Jan Depner is reading, I have a vague
recollection of this sort of problem when they first worked on Jamin.
I found some command that I asked them to put in their build scripts
that fixed this. Maybe that could be done for Ardour? (If I'm not
totally borked about what I remember.)

- Mark