[ardour-dev] latest CVS commit

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 29 06:38:39 PST 2004

   * fix for new insert in/out counting scheme
       as it affects port inserts
   * libardour: 0.843.2

A note on the new scheme:

 a) sends are ignored entirely in figuring out
     plugin configuration. they send a signal
     *out* of the route, and have no effect
     on the flow within the route, so this
     seemed right to me.

 b) the first insert (plugin or port insert)
     is configured the match the input count
     of the route

 c) then we work *backwards* through the inserts
     to make them match the configuration of
     the previous insert. the output configuration
     of the last insert is left "free".

 d) we recompute in/out counts whenever we
       - add an insert
       - remove an insert
       - reorder inserts
       - change the input configuration of the
           route

 e) if the computation "fails" (i.e. no
      way can be found to make them work),
      the order is left as is, and an error
      is delivered via the GUI.

I am sure there are several corner cases not yet handled, and in
writing this, i realize that if you change the input configuration and
the in/out computation fails, the result is "undefined" :(

--p