[ardour-dev] issues with plugin in/out counts

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Nov 24 09:27:56 PST 2004

Just had a little idea: If we end up constraining which kind of plugins
can be added to a track based on the number of inputs/outputs,
it would be nice if the UI would disable non-compatible plugins:
gray them out in the list and make them non-clickable.

Additionally, if adding a 1-in/2-out plugin to a mono track is a
common case with implications that the user needs to be aware of,
maybe there could be some mnemonic in the plugin selection dialog,
like maybe use a different color for these plugins.  So the user
would eventually internalize the knowledge, and expect something like
"pink plugins are 1-in/2-out and if I select one I'll get that
do-you-really-want-to-add-a-2-out-plugin-to-a-mono-channel dialog."

Another UI nicety: since *removing* a 1-in/2-out plugin also has
implications, it would be nice if there was an option to *replace*
it with another 1-in/2-out plugin instead of having to remove and then
add. This could avoid resetting the panner and would be handy if you're
e.g. trying different 1-in/2-out reverbs.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com