[ardour-dev] issues with plugin in/out counts

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 24 09:15:26 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:12:42 -0600, Josh Karnes <jkarnes1 at austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> IMHO-
>
> Most people using Ardour today probably match many of these criteria:
>
> - are used to using a regular hardware mixer
> - are working in stereo with stereo sources and mono sources combined

this may be seem true at the moment. But it is only because the most heavy
beta testing goes on in a "regular" studio for track laying and editing of
band recordings.
DAW's in general have a much broader use than this. they are also
composition tools for musicians working in electronic music. that can vary
 from academic composed tape music to commercial dance music to soundfx for
commercials.

> This is why this whole thing is confusing to many users, imho, because it
> doesn't work like we're used to working (whether those limitations are
> valuable or not is another point).

IMHO it is no more confusing that switching to cubase or protools after
working on real mixing desks.
The functionality is so much bigger that there will be confusion and it
does have a learning curve.
But for user coming from cubase and protools there will be a lot less
confusion.

> A regular mixing desk usually has mono inserts (and if you have "stereo"
> channels, it's a pair of mono channels each with a mono insert), the
> panner
> is the final piece after the bus assign switch.
>
> The big thing Ardour is obviously missing is a channel send.  I know it
> *can* be done but it's not intuitive and doesn't work like we're used to
> working.

There is a regular send, but it is prepan, it follows the assigment of the
streams present
So on a stereobus, you can add a stereo send and it will send channel 1
one the first output of the send, and channel 2 on the second. I think it
will send nothing on the extra channels though if you add more outputs
than there are streams at that point in the strip.

At the moment you can't pan, although a little panner square is drawn in
the controls.
But I agree that a automatable postpan prefader send would be nice, but
how many mixing desks have these?
Mainly because it saves screen real estate. I can't think of anything that
can't be done with a sufficient number of busses.
And the mix-groups don't affect the panning, so some kind of midi routing
is necesary to set that up correctly.
Other wise you could hide all the busses in the group made by the track
and all its busses.
This is one of the most powerfull features of ardour, you can have a
multitude of independent busses for each track, so instead of only using
them for (sub)mixes, you can use them to distribute the signal over many
destinations.
It takes a mindshift when you are used to limited routing, but it is very
powerful.

cheers
Gerard