[ardour-dev] Re: issues with plugin in/out counts

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 24 05:41:20 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:08:23 +0000, Doug McLain <nostar at comcast.net> wrote:

> gerard van dongen wrote:
>

>> There are more than 2 channels possible. Not just 5.1 surround, but
>> also  maybe ambisonic encoding decoding plugins
>> that would be 4->8 or 8->4, or a stereo compressor with a side chain:
>> 3->2.
>> This is one of the things that make it complicated
>

> Hmm, probably over my head here, but they couldn't follow the same idea
> of say, an 8/8 plugin taking care of making routing adjustments if it2 8
> inputs were exposed to 4 outputs? (to use a 4/8 example)

So what should a panner do then?
1->2 by definition.
Or a mixer 2->1?

It gets a bit strange that plugins whose function is changing the number
of streams of audio, need to hide their function with extra ports.

Also ardour should deal with the plugins that exist as much as possible,
and not be selective in the kind of plugins it can use.

cheers
Gerard