[ardour-dev] Re: issues with plugin in/out counts

gerard van dongen gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 24 03:56:31 PST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 06:29:24 +0000, Doug McLain <nostar at comcast.net> wrote:

> I am replying to Paul's original post here, even though I have read thru
> most of the replies.  I'd like to say right off the bat that I agree
> heavily with Florian Schmidts concept of not hiding the complexity from
> the user.  I am going to try and provide examples of this below.
>
> Paul Davis wrote:
>> in the last few days, i've been staring down some of the problems
>> people have reported when using plugins that change the number of
>> active streams in a track (e.g. a 1in/2out reverb).
>
> What if the concept of 1in/2out was ditched completely?

There are more than 2 channels possible. Not just 5.1 surround, but also
maybe ambisonic encoding decoding plugins
that would be 4->8 or 8->4, or a stereo compressor with a side chain: 3->2.
This is one of the things that make it complicated

<snip>
>  I shirley don't want to stick a 1/1 EQ after my Stereo Echo creating a
> wonderful haas effect for all the world to hear!

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the EQ applied to both channels
independly.
If you don't allow parallel mono plugins you would have to route your
stereo output to 2 mono busses just to apply eq after a stereo plug.

1->1 plugins are a special case, that should be seen as extending the
previous plugin by another processing event for each stream/channel
present.

Gerard