[ardour-dev] issues with plugin in/out counts

ross at lug.udel.edu ross at lug.udel.edu
Tue Nov 23 11:55:23 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 02:38:17PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> the implementation nightmare in that rule arises from another common
> user desire: plugin reordering.
>
> if plugins could never be reordered, applying those rules is fairly
> easy. as soon as we allow (and i think we should), applying them gets
> really hairy really fast.

You could do it in a two-stage process.  A two pane dialog comes up,
starting with your current plugin order in both panes.  In the
right-hand pane, the user can rearrange a list of plugins (not just
reorder, but allow them it insert and delete).  When the user changes
this list, it doesn't actually affect the plugins.

When they click OK, validate that either the number of tracks match
between every plugin, or that the plugin is mono and will be applied
to each track.  If the validation fails at some point, inform the user
they have constucted an invalid plugin layout.

Seems like best of both worlds?

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu