[ardour-dev] documentation

ross at lug.udel.edu ross at lug.udel.edu
Sun Nov 21 08:33:44 PST 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 06:26:53AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> one way to avoid this particular plan would be to set up something
> roughly equivalent to the blender foundation. it wouldn't take a lot:
> 3 companies throwing in $15K/yr each would be sufficient. blender gets
> EU funding and support for Apple and some other companies, to the tune
> of about $1M last year. if something like this happened, i could
> forget the manual as a centerpiece of my plans, and open it up to a
> much more cooperative process.

To be completely fair, Blender does it both ways (or they used to).
Now they have the Blender foundation, as you mentioned, but they also
take the opportunity to periodically print an absolutely goregous
manual.

It looks like they now offer it for free download or purchase, but it
would be completely reasonable for you to not do both  Have an "Ardour
Foundation" type thing and also sell the manual.  I really think
that this belt-and-suspenders approach would be best.  Seems the
most likely to produce a viable income, and that means better ardour
for all of us.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu