[ardour-dev] Ancient history? - Problem identified

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 13:45:20 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:31:32 -0800, David Gatwood <dgatwood at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2004, at 12:40 PM, Jan Depner wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 11:56, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> >>    So, my first, somewhat obvious thought, is that drawing pink boxes
> >> is a process of moving a number of pixels to the screen. I presume you
> >> are using a more modern AGP based archtecture? If you are running an
> >> older PCI graphics adapter then you're moving those pixels across the
> >> same bus that your audio is moving across to go to and from the disk
> >> which would probably cause some problems.
> >>
> >       Even using AGP you're running over the PCI bus.
>
> Well, more accurately, AGP is running over -a- PCI bus.  Not the same
> one as your sound card or SCSI card, though.

Sort of. Agp devices run PCI configuration cycles. However AGP is a
'split transaction' bus which allow the processor (be it the host CPU
or the graphics processor) to decouple the request from the action.
this allows a system to increase performance by executing commands out
of order and multiple commands at the same time.