[ardour-dev] Ancient history? - Problem identified

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Nov 11 12:40:12 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 11:56, Mark Knecht wrote:

>    So, my first, somewhat obvious thought, is that drawing pink boxes
> is a process of moving a number of pixels to the screen. I presume you
> are using a more modern AGP based archtecture? If you are running an
> older PCI graphics adapter then you're moving those pixels across the
> same bus that your audio is moving across to go to and from the disk
> which would probably cause some problems.

	Even using AGP you're running over the PCI bus.  Do an lspci -vvv and
check it out.  The reason I asked about the NVIDIA card earlier is that
the accelerated driver for the NVIDIA cards kicks the latency timer to
248 for the graphics card.  One of the tricks that I use is to set it
down to 32 prior to running jack.  Like this:

/sbin/setpci -s 01:00.0 latency_timer=20

Check with lspci to see what all of your PCI latencies are set to.  You
can also try kicking your sound card latency timer to 248 thusly:

/sbin/setpci -s 00:0a.0 latency_timer=f8

Your addresses will vary.

Jan