[ardour-dev] Ancient history? - Problem identified

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 09:52:32 PST 2004

Hi Joel,

--- cv223 at comcast.net wrote:

> A few days ago I posted the following message about
> tracking down xruns using Ardour to record to a SCSI
> Raid0.  At the end of the message, I asked whether
> anyone had any ideas about why commenting out a
> single line in streamview.cc (which at the very
> least eliminates updating the "progress" rectangles
> during recording) completely eliminates my xrun
> problem, in a rather dramatic fashion (dozens of
> xruns per min to none).  Since I got a goose egg in
> response, I thought I would try again because I've
> run out of things to test and don't know where to
> look next.

I took note of your first message. It's certainly an
interesting discovery.

> Basically, how can display updates in Ardour during
> recording cause xruns with writes to the hard
> drives?

I'm not a programmer but we have to imagine the
function operates outside the realtime threads. If
that's correct and all is well within the code, then
Ardour isn't the cause but does trigger the symptom.

It would seem to indicate xruns caused by the video
driver but you have narrowed it down to a hardware
scsi raid event where the problem occurs.

Being pretty clueless, perhaps all I'm doing is trying
to add some life to your thread. Incidentally, the
region drawing code was written by Jesse Chappel--I
think. If you do IRC, he can often be found on
freenode.net #ardour.

Sorry I can't be very helpful, more sorry than you
know because I also run hardware raid and have xrun
problems.

ron