[ardour-dev] Ancient history?

Tommi Sakari Uimonen tuimonen at cc.hut.fi
Mon Nov 1 22:46:37 PST 2004

>> 2.6.9.  It'd be nice to see some experiments on that...  I still run
>> jackd -R -n 3 -p 256 and have ardour 0.9beta19 xrun sometimes even w/
>> only a few tracks.  I didn't expect that on my dual athlon 2400MP.
>>
>> 1.  I don't kill every process known to man before running ardour, and
>> I use windowmaker instead of twm or something, but I bought a dual
>> proc box so I wouldn't have to do that...
>
> You shouldn't have to if your soft-realtimeness is working ok. I run
> gnome, and dont kill any background processes. Sometimes I even run with a
> (busy) mysql in the background.

I found a very confusing behaviour some days ago. I was trying the limits
of my jackd system and got as far as -R -n 2 -p 16. Just jackd running, no
ardour nor any other jackd client.

Then I just moved mouse around my kde (focus follows mouse was on) and
witnessed xruns during the focus changes.

The confusing part was that after I reniced most of my running processes
to lowest (19) priority, I got fewer xruns when moving mouse across kde.

I have lowlatency and pre-emptive 2.4.20, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 at irq 9
(nothing at irq 8 & 10), ATI card at irq 11, Athlon 1700+

I thought that renicing shouldn't affect since jackd is running -R

Tommi