[ardour-dev] latest CVS commit

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Jun 6 13:44:39 PDT 2004

>On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 11:59:21AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> >normally libtool builds such a stub for you.
>> >just run gtk_ardour/ardour in the build directory.
>> >works find too...
>>
>> we do not build ardour with libtool. and we never will (again).
>
>oh sorry... i was tricked by the fact that libardour was built with
>libtool in beta14 and i have libardour installed.

we do that because we want to be able to build libardour as a shared
library. it speeds the development process, because we can work on
libardour without going through the massive relink of ardour itself.

>why dont you build with libtool ?

it was responsible for more pain in quasimodo, softwerk and the early
years of ardour than any other tool i have ever come across. like the
rest of the autotools, its really crap. alas, there is nothing else
that can replace it, so we're stuck with it.

--p