[ardour-dev] playback levels

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Wed Feb 25 08:01:03 PST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:22:41 -0500
Jesse Chappell <jesse at essej.net> wrote:

> R Parker wrote on Wed, 25-Feb-2004:
>
>  > The difference in playback volume between the
>  > JAMin:playback and Ardour-master:playback is six to
>  > eight db where the Ardour-master:playback is that much
>  > lower in volume. These results happen without
>  > modifying any settings after the capture; pan, levels,
>  > etc.
>  >
>  > Anyway, do we know what this is, is it user stupidity,
>  > is it a bug that's been reported, or?
>
> Sounds like the panner on the master playback track has not been
> disabled.  Do so with middle-click on the panner.
> You'll want to do this for any of your stereo busses/tracks that
> are supposed to pass their inputs unpanned.  This *should* be
> the default, but it never seems to be.

also i think that a stereo file even with enabled panner should be at no
less volume than with disabled panner..  I am aware of the fact that the
volume change is done to compensate the volume raise which happens when
panning [on one channel], probably to avoid clipping. But this behaviour
is highly irritating and should be optional from my point of view (maybe
add an option: "lower track volume by 6db when panning enabled []")..

If you think that this behaviour is desirable, enable it by default. I
would turn it off usually and adjust the level manually if needed [when
busting the headroom]..

Regards,
Flo

--