[ardour-dev] Latency: AGP vs PCI video card and XFS journalling vs not

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Feb 22 14:11:43 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 02:50:57 -0600, Jan Depner wrote:
> > 2.  Could it be my XFS filesystems?  If I have 8 or so tracks on one
> > drive, it can't even handle playback w/o giving disk errors.  I've
> > tweaked all the XFS options, and currently have a large (64MB) log for
> > each filesystem that resides on the opposite disk.  Would turning the
> > log size up or down help?  Is there a way to just turn off journalling
> > in XFS, or would ext2 be better?  I did notice that exporting to my
> > default param (i.e. small log) ext3 root partition seems to be faster
> > than to my XFS.
> >
> 	XFS should be fine.  For best results it should be on a separate
> filesystem.  You should also use ramfs.  Don't use ext2 or ext3.  Use
> reiserfs or XFS for your data drive.  Again, more info on my web page.

FWIW I use ext3 on all my audio machines and I've not had any problems. I
would avoid XFS sinly because its less common under linux and its unlikly
to be as well tested for audio.

In general audio and journals dont mix. You can get away with it on ext3
and reiser, but it would be better without them, hoever I like waiting
hours to reboot after crashes as much as the next man :)

To original poster: have you made sure your jack fifos are not mounted on
a joirnaled partition, that is quite important.

Planet CCRMA creates an /etc/fstab entry for it:
none            /var/lib/jack/tmp       tmpfs   defaults         0 0

Which seems to work well. I think you have to reuild jack to tell it to
use this directory. I expect there are instructions on the web somewhere.

- Steve