[ardour-dev] 6 tracks of 800MB each, is editing supposed to be slow?

Tommi Sakari Uimonen tuimonen at cc.hut.fi
Tue Feb 17 08:45:25 PST 2004

Hi. I have 6 tracks, mono 16bit 96khz 800mb each, and something as simple
as nudging them (all six channels together) around makes my athlon
xp1700+ choke, 256mb memory and 160gb udma100 disk (linux swap is on
older drive but it's udma100 also).

I haven't looked ardour's code but I suppose it's not trying to move the
actual sound data from place to place but instead it organizes some kind
of information that tells where to read when user hits play button.

And, the tracks are freshly imported (insert external sndfile) and haven't
been edited in any way, so each track is just one big region.

Should I suspect some hardware issues or is this normal.

Tommi Uimonen