[ardour-dev] Using USB-HID-devices in Ardour

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sat Feb 14 08:35:20 PST 2004

Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> writes:

> Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:
>
> > One option might be to write HID -> MIDI+JACK Transport translator
> > programs for them, which would be a bit more general than specific ardour
> > drivers. Though I'm not sure how practical that is, and if it would be
> > lossy. Doing shuttle in JACK trnasport would be tricky.
>
> The ShuttleXpress regularily sends the current Jog wheel position
> every 5 seconds or so, a value in the range 1-255 (you need several
> turns to walk through the whole range), and of course sends it
> immediatly when moved. The Shuttle ring sends values ranging from 1 to
> 7 and from -1 to -7. It does not seem to send its zero position. There
> is a "linuxevent" object in Pd, available in the Pd-CVS, which could
> be used to immediatly translate the events to Midi CC, so one could
> already use it in Ardour by making a virmidi-connection. But of course
> it would be nicer to have it directly in Ardour or in Jack transport.
> There also is a project called "evrouter", which translates HID events
> to X windows events.

My experience implementing fast-forward for JAMin using
jack_transport_locate(), suggests that doing a new locate every 5
seconds should work quite well.

Try using ecasound or ecamegapedal for a test client.  AFAIK, ardour
still does not handle external locate requests, though it seems to
transmit them correctly.
--
  joq