[OT] Re: [ardour-dev] change is in the air ...

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Feb 10 01:39:22 PST 2004

David Gatwood wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2004, at 6:48 AM, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
>
>> The problem is that the new server doesn't support pserver.  I'd like
>> to see anoncvs to, but I think it would require someone else to host it.
>

> You could also use anonymous cvs over ssh, assuming it doesn't violate
> your terms of service.
>
>     http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/sshcvs/

i was going to suggest that, too, but if their security policy does
not allow anon cvs, it won't allow anon ssh either. moreover, the
encryption puts a considerable load on the server for no real purpose.

<rant>
the downside of tunneling (and of transmitting everything and their
grandmother over port 80, for that matter) is that you can't enforce
policies by packet filtering any more.

granted, i tunnel in and out of networks like there's no tomorrow,
but then i'm a _sysadmin_. i would *hate* the thought that my
_users_ did it, too :-D
</rant>

--
The handles of a craftsman's tools bespeak an absolute simplicity,
the plainest forms affording the greatest range of possibilities for

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)