[ardour-dev] Two jack servers? (One internal to Ardour)

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 13 01:16:47 PST 2004

On Sunday 12 December 2004 23:43, Florian Schmidt wrote:

> > Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:
> > >    I started wondering if it wouldn't be possible to have two separate
> > > Jack servers? The first jack server would sync to the sound card and
> > > Ardour would hook up stuff that actually goes outside of Ardour. I
> > > think this is what most people would want to look at most of the time.
> >

> Well, wouldn't the internal jackd server would of course be driven by the
> host app, in this case ardour?
>
> if so, why not just implement a jack backend driver that is woken by the
> host, whenever work is to be done.

I think this would only get more confusing.
How could you possibly know in advance what port a user may want to connect to
an outside app?
f.i. I have send  to a reverb-bus, but then I decide that an external app is
better. I would have to add an extra "external-send". How could that be
implemented? The driver of the ardour-jackd would have to have dynamic
port-counts.
The power of ardour is exactly that you can hook up anything to anything.
I think it is an interface issue that is not solved by limiting or adding
functionality
A better interface for the patchbay or an intergrated patchbay is a better
solution.
F.i. a matrix style patcher , something that has been on my todo-list for a
long time.  I have a prototype for that that I never finished from two years
ago. I couldn't decide on a toolkit and it was impossible to get vertical
text on buttons without drawing each letter as a pixmap.

 cheers

Gerard