[ardour-dev] Ardour had an episode and I got pictures!

Doug McLain nostar at comcast.net
Sun Dec 12 12:16:13 PST 2004

This is weird, and I can't reproduce it, but I did get pictures of it
happening:

I started out testing the new CVS by doing some bass overdubs.  I
started overdubbing on Audio 9.  I played for a little bit at about :30
to about 1:15 or so, then i toggled master rec-enable to OFF.  NOTE that
I *never* stopped rolling throughout these 4 images.

http://nostar.isa-geek.com/pics/studio/ardour_record_weird_01.png

I let transport roll in play mode from about 1:15 to 1:40ish, then I
toggled master rec enable to ON, and began to play again.  Sudenly the
gap closed between 1:15 and 1:40 and the space was filled, as the first
image shows, by the pink region.  Note that its not just in "dont update
waveform' mode right now, like it might appear.  The waveform is
actually being updated realtime, I am plucking the bass now to the beat,
and watching it appear early on the track but in perfect time with me.

Next I toggle master rec enable to OFF again, and both regions in
question disappear:

http://nostar.isa-geek.com/pics/studio/ardour_record_weird_02.png

I let it roll in play mode again for a spell, and repeat the process:

http://nostar.isa-geek.com/pics/studio/ardour_record_weird_03.png

I toggle rec enable back to ON, and once again the gap closes, and the
gap that closed is represented by the pink region, realtime waveform
updating is still happening once again, but seemingly being written way
too early in the session. (not really though, as the last image shows)

Finally, I stop rolling, and everything aligns itself perfectly like
nothing ever happened.  Ardour tried to pull a fast one on me but I was
too quick for it this time, heh!

http://nostar.isa-geek.com/pics/studio/ardour_record_weird_04.png

I haven't been able to repeat this, since, but after typing it all out,
it seems to at least have a logical explanation.  Something about live
waveform updating getting confused about where to stop/start?

Doug
--
http://nostar.isa-geek.com/