[ardour-dev] Two jack servers? (One internal to Ardour)

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Sun Dec 12 12:10:34 PST 2004

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:

>    I started wondering if it wouldn't be possible to have two separate
> Jack servers? The first jack server would sync to the sound card and
> Ardour would hook up stuff that actually goes outside of Ardour. I
> think this is what most people would want to look at most of the time.
>
>    The second Jack server would be for all the internal stuff -
> tracks, sends, masters, etc. This one would be private to Ardour so
> that the other remained cleaner and more user friendly.
>
>    Is this even technically possible? (Although maybe not today...)
> Even if it worked would it somehow have to increase latency? If so we
> don't want it.

With current JACK CVS (soon to be released) it *is* possible to run
two separate JACK servers.  *But*, that does not do at all what you
want.  The two servers each use different, unsynchronized clock
sources, so they would be totally useless for the purpose you
describe.

I hasten to set the record straight, because I fully expect many
people to have unrealistic expectations for what multiple JACK servers
can do.

>    An alternative idea would be some way of marking Ardour's internal
> connections in such a way that tools like QJC do not display them.
> From my POV connections internal to Ardour should not be meddled with
> in QJC, but I'm make so many connections in Ardour that QJC's
> connections page is becoming a frustration instead of the tool it
> usually is.
>
>    Again, just thinking aloud about how to make the tools and
> environment more friendly.

Good idea.  Maybe Rui could give QJC an option to ignore connections
from a client to itself.
--
  joq