[ardour-dev] A couple of small items

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 5 14:56:53 PST 2004

On Sunday 05 December 2004 19:36, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 14:22:49 -0500, Paul Davis
>
> <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> > all that is needed for mute automation is a way of drawing bi-state
> > automation.

> I think it's more like your edit model for modifying the level of a
> complete segment.
>
> Today you have a mode where I can grab the middle of a segment and
> drag the whole segment up and down. In mute editing, if I entered two
> points at level 1 and then grabbed the middle of the segment and
> pulled down, then the segment (which is horizontal at level 1) would
> drop down to 0 and still be horizontal.
>
> I don't actually edit at the points, like I do with volume, but I edit
> on the segment. That way you only need a single point along with
> information about whether the next segment is high or low. Granted,
> you could do that with two points, but you'd have to enforce levels
> that make sense for mute. I think this is easier.

I think if you want to change the state you can drag the linesegment, but you
have to drag the points to change the duration.
An edit-model could be that points are y-constrained, and segments are
x-constrained (well segments are allready anyway).

And we need a different model/point heuristic because as soon as you dragged a
segment like so:

the controlpoints at the segment you just dragged will dissappear.(at least
after a zoom)
Which in this case you don't want because you might want to turn that section
on again.
This ought to work for all enumerated automation types (presets,mutes etc)

gerard

electronic & acoustic musics-- http://www.xs4all.nl/~gml