[ardour-dev] Newbie Here

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Aug 14 18:23:34 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-14 at 15:01, Brandon Daggerhart wrote:
> Okay,
> It seems that CCRMA and Fedora is the way to go.  I have a version of Fedora
> Core 2 (I think it's pretty new?).  Will this work just as well, or should
> I look for Core 1?  I would like to have the most up-to-date system as
> possible since I will not be able to upgrade via internet for awhile (we
> only have one internet connection, and the fiance's computer gets dibs
> on that ;) ).  If Core 2 will be fine, I'll go ahead and get started
> installing, and asking for yet even more help :)

Fedora Core 2 is the newest but currently not the best for low latency
work due to the 2.6 kernel. If you don't have critical needs for low
latency it should do, otherwise I'd recommend Fedora Core 1.

BTW, FC2 uses the 2.6 kernel and many many improvements have happened
during the last month with regards to latency. Also, some problems I was
finding are actually shared by the 2.4 kernel, and were due to denormal
problems in specific applications (long story). So, very soon FC2 it
will be the best choice for a Planet CCRMA install, I hope (difficult to
say how soon, maybe a couple of weeks?).

-- Fernando