[ardour-dev] Newbie Here

Larry Lines larry at twistedpop.com
Mon Aug 9 21:48:22 PDT 2004

I don't have anything to do with CCRMA or Redhat.  I don't use either.
But I would suggest Redhat with CCRMA.  I use Gentoo and compile
the source code for all sound applications.

If you are really that new to Linux, go to the BestBuy or other local
software retail outlet and just buy Redhat 9.0 for $35.  A couple of years ago,
I was a Linux newbie and I had the same motivation.  Protools and
Nuendo are way out there.  The thing is that your motivation is sound
recording.  Get the simplest distribution and install it quickly.  If you
start downloading distributions, you are going to spend a long time
figuring out how Linux works.  You are not going to be able to avoid
figuring out how Linux works, but at least in the beginning, you should
get a distribution up and running.  Then go to
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/planetccrma.html
and go through all the steps of installing.  Read all of the crap you
can about latency issues and Jack, http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
If you are going to be into this, you will become very familiar with
the quirks of the Jack Audio Connection Kit.

Linux sound is NOT easy.  You are going to have to be very very
committed before you even record a sound.  I have found it  incredibly
rewarding, but it is NOT easy.  But save yourself the headache of not
being able to figure out how to install Linux until later.  I settled on
Gentoo because I liked the idea of maximum optimization.  But it took
many forays into Linux ins and outs before I was prepared to do that.
Redhat will install easily relative to other distributions, and it will still
confuse the hell out of you.

Mine is just one opinion, but I think we should be honest with the
newbie.  You are going to feel like you are trying to do everything with
the opposite hand for a while.

Larry Lines