[ardour-dev] Controlling Ardour with Shuttle Xpress

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Apr 14 13:30:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 22:40, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I'm starting to write a user space daemon for controlling Ardour with
> >the Contour Shuttle Xpress audio/video controller. I would like to know
> >what would be the best way to interface ardour. I'm working now on
> >sending midi to the alsa sequencer, but if you have better suggestions,
> >please tell me. Midi is probably the best, so that the controller (and
> >others like it) could be used also to control muse etc.
>
> ardour doesn't use the ALSA sequencer. write to a plain file as well,
> and accept the name on the cmd line; then use a FIFO. or, write a
> wrapper for the sequencer in libmidi++ :)

woops. I know that libmidi++ doesn't use the sequencer api. I meant to
say alsa rawmidi devices.

 At the moment I'm using a virmidi port (A) that Ardour listens to. Then
I connect  (with the sequencer api, via qjackctl) the same port, or a
different virmidi port (B) to the one Ardour listens to. Now by writing
to B I can send midi commands to ardour.

> >I'm trying to figure out the midi commands to send, I know how to
> >stop/play, locate
> >
> >Stop:   F0 7F 7F 06 01 F7
> >Play:   F0 7F 7F 06 03 F7
> >Locate: F0 7F 7F 06 44 06 01 hr mn sc fr ff F7
> >
> >I'm interested in the following:
> >  Relative locate. For example "move 10 seconds forward"
>
>   i am not sure if this exists.

Would it be possible to add support for such a command? Maybe as an
SysEx? It would be great to have. By having a command like that, one
could use his/her mouse to control the playhead, as well as a daw
controller.

> >  Arming the main record button
> >  Arming tracks
> >  Punch IN/OUT
> >  Varispeed controller (the thingamagcik in the upper left under "Edit"
> >                        and "Windows")
>
>    we don't respond to MMC varispeed commands,if they exist.
>
> >  Anything else which would be cool.. :)
>
> you'll have to read libs/midi++/mmc.cc. the manual for MMC is
> proprietary (but for sale).

Thanks! I'll look in there.

  Sampo