[ardour-dev] Controlling Ardour with Shuttle Xpress

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Wed Apr 14 12:21:42 PDT 2004

Hello,

I'm starting to write a user space daemon for controlling Ardour with
the Contour Shuttle Xpress audio/video controller. I would like to know
what would be the best way to interface ardour. I'm working now on
sending midi to the alsa sequencer, but if you have better suggestions,
please tell me. Midi is probably the best, so that the controller (and
others like it) could be used also to control muse etc.

I'm trying to figure out the midi commands to send, I know how to
stop/play, locate

Stop:   F0 7F 7F 06 01 F7
Play:   F0 7F 7F 06 03 F7
Locate: F0 7F 7F 06 44 06 01 hr mn sc fr ff F7

I'm interested in the following:
  Relative locate. For example "move 10 seconds forward"
  Arming the main record button
  Arming tracks
  Punch IN/OUT
  Varispeed controller (the thingamagcik in the upper left under "Edit"
                        and "Windows")
  Anything else which would be cool.. :)

 Thanks!
   Sampo